Monday 20 February 2017

On With the Job

Mastering the Craft

As a stay-at home mum I don't have a job as such...oh alright, I do - but there's no wages. The husband smiles at me a lot, plays a mean guitar in our band ~ Morrigans Path and takes me to the Waffle Bar on a Sunday. That'll do me thanks very much.
Almost.

For my birthday before Christmas, he treated me to an online business course in self-publishing. Very nice I hear you say, what a lovely husband you have and I would say yes he is, but not one without an ulterior motive.
There's a greater plan at work here...
One which involves me rolling up my sleeves and knuckling down to the business of writing. And I mean proper writing. The kind of writing which starts at an unearthly hour and continues, with the odd break or two for dog walking and domestic chores; but for the most part of the day - I'm writing.

It's serious stuff. I do have a sequel to write after all. The Madness & the Magic has been out over a year now and the second book has been marinating for a while but with no real momentum behind it.
Time for a change.
I'm not content with being a housewife anymore, the same way as the husband's had enough of being the breadwinner, plus he wants to retire... Can't blame him, forty years in the same job - I'd say that's pretty good going.
And the good news is I'm loving it, I get to do what I love all day, every day. There's a lot to learn once I have this next book written... tackling the self-publishing process will be a challenge but there's so much support from the course I'm doing with Mark Dawson I'm confident I can do it and determined I will.
And of course, the husband is happy. He gets early retirement if all goes to plan... but I must admit to a minor ulterior motive there too. The business side of things would benefit from a far more logical and practical mind than yours truly. Which means I could get on with the job of writing and the business management would be taken care of by one better equipped to deal with it.
Horses for courses, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment